The bike in these photos is a year 2000 ZX-6R.
I am not a mechanic or a representative of Kawasaki or anything else official. This page is only my notes on doing this procedure myself. Although I believe what I have documented here is correct, I make no promises and you do this at your own risk.
Lubricating cables makes the associated control (throttle, choke, or clutch) smoother, and extends cable life. It’s relatively easy to do, but, while the clutch cable is trivial, the throttle and choke cables require quite a bit of effort to reach the cable ends, so the task is best combined with other chores requiring disassembly.
- Rear stand (recommended)
- Phillips screwdrivers
- Hex wrenches (metric)
- Cable lubrication jig
- Aerosol cable lubricant
Some difficulties could be:
- Lubricating cables requires access to both ends, so there can be a bit of disassembly involved. The clutch cable is quite easy, but these fuel cables require access to the carburetor assembly.
- Re-assembling the cable connections on the throttle requires patience and careful alignment.
Throttle and Choke Cables
These cables require more work than the clutch cable because the other ends (and the ends at which it’s easiest to apply the lubricant) are connected to the carburetor, which means some disassembly.
Here are the preparatory steps (click for instructions of these sub-steps);
- Remove the Seats
- Remove the lower fairing (not strictly necessary but makes things much simpler).
- Remove the gas tank.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the carburetors. (You don’t actually have to remove the carburetor assembly, but it only takes a few minutes and it makes the job much easier, so I recommend it.)
Finally, we’re ready to actually do the cables. Here is the procedure:
The choke cable is easy to reinstall. The throttle cables are easy if you attach the carburetor end first, then reassemble the throttle grip assembly. (In the other order, they will be hard to install.) Be sure to check the throttle grip moves freely, and springs back when released, after you reinstall the cables.