The “Ompah-Plevna” area is a large loop including the towns of Ompah, Plevna, Ardoch, Clarendon Station, Mississippi Station, Snow Road Station, and Vennachar. These are well-paved roads through quiet wooded region, with lakes and sweepers.
There’s a convenient picnic area on a lakeshore just south of Mississippi Station but, strangely, no washrooms there.
- Up highway 509 from Highway 7 to Clarendon Station; or
- Down highway 511 from Calabogie, turning West in Lanark, through McDonald’s Corners to Snow Road Station; or
- Centennial Lake Road from Calabogie, turning left instead of right at the Matawatchan stop sign. Through the town of Matawatchan to Vennachar. Turn left at the T-intersection at Vennachar, follow the long twisty road to Plevna.
For a great full-afternoon’s ride
- Ottawa to Calabogie. Get gas at Munfords at the main intersection.
- Down highway 511 to Lanark.
- West from Lanark, to McDonald’s corners. Break at the general store if desired.
- At Snow Road Station, go either way around the loop.
- From Plevna, head west and North to Vennachar.
- Turn right at Vennachar; Through Matawatchan to Centennial Lake road, and return to Calabogie.
You’re going through some wooded, undeveloped areas and there aren’t many gas stations. There are gas stations at
There used to be gas in McDonalds Corners (at the general store) but it was no longer selling gas the last time I was there.
So think about your fuel before you set out on this route. A couple of distances between fuel stops for your reference:
- Calabogie, Centennial Lake Road to Griffith, then Ompah-Plevna area to Lanark: 156 Km.
- Griffith to Lanark by Ompah-Plevna: 122 Km.